[csaa-forum] CFP - the Fibreculture Journal ­ Mobility, New Social Intensities, and the Coordinates of Digital Networks, 2004

Andrew Murphie a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 5 12:07:36 CST 2004

[Please circulate - apologies for cross posting]
---
Call for Papers ­ the Fibreculture Journal ­ Mobility, New Social
Intensities, and the Coordinates of Digital Networks, 2004

(please circulate)

http://journal.fibreculture.org/

:: fibreculture:: has established itself as Australasia's leading forum
for discussion of internet theory, criticism, and research. The
Fibreculture Journal is a peer reviewed journal that explores the
issues and ideas of concern and interest to both the Fibreculture
network and wider social formations.

Papers are invited for the ŒMobility, New Social Intensities and the
Coordinates of Digital Networks¹ Issue of the Fibreculture Journal, to
be published late in 2004/early in 2005. The issue will be co-edited by
Larissa Hjorth and Andrew Murphie.

There are guidelines for the format and submission of contributions at
http://journal.fibreculture.org <http://journal.fibreculture.org/> .
These guidelines need to be followed in all cases. Contributions should
be sent electronically, as attachments, to Andrew Murphie at
<a.murphie at unsw.edu.au>, or Larissa Hjorth at
<larissahjorth at hotmail.com>.

The deadline for submissions is September 22, 2004.

MOBILITY, NEW SOCIAL INTENSITIES, AND THE COORDINATES OF DIGITAL
NETWORKS

 From stirrups to satellites, the invention of new forms of
technically-assisted mobility has always created new intensities within
the social. Each invention has also required a new idea of what it
might be to be human, along with new tensions as older cultural
practices and social forms are challenged.

The contemporary mobility of digital networks is no exception. This
issue of the Fibreculture Journal will be concerned with documenting,
and thinking about, the new mobile intensities allowed by digital
networks.

We are very interested in receiving contributions dealing with mobile
telephony. However, we are also interested in contributions that deal
with related or other forms of digital mobility. In addition to mobile
telephony, contributions might include discussions of wireless
networking, the folding of the Internet into other technical networks,
or the complexity of relations between older and newer social networks
when both are brought into the coordinates of digital networks.

* How does mobility change these networks? How are relations within
these networks transformed?
* What new forms of social and cultural expression are made available
by the new mobilities?
* How are older forms of social regulation, discipline and control
attempting to adapt to the new mobilities?
* Can we still talk of ³the social² in the same manner as we used to?
What kinds of social theory are adequate/inadequate to the new social
intensities of mobility? Does social theory need to be re-invented in
the light of new mobile multitudes?
* Do mobile networks create new forms of ³immobile intensity², in which
relatively stationary positions within the networks are brought new
intensive experience?
* How is mobility transforming our relation to screens? What does it
mean when screens/images are networked and mobile?
* How are gender and sexuality expressed within the new mobilities?
* How is mobility transforming work? Education? Politics?
* Is mobility transforming the configurations of cultural memory?
* How does mobility change the way institions are organised?

The Fibreculture Journal is especially interested in contributions that
investigate the tensions between older and newer notions of the
social/social practices played out within the new mobility of the
network.

--
"I thought I had reached port; but I seemed to be cast
back again into the open sea" (Deleuze and Guattari, after Leibniz)

Dr Andrew Murphie - Senior Lecturer
School of Media and Communications, University of New South Wales, Sydney,
Australia, 2052
web:http://media.arts.unsw.edu.au/homepage/Staff/Murphie/
fax:612 93856812 tlf:612 93855548 email: a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
room 311H, Webster Building