[csaa-forum] apologies, typo! CSAA conference panel proposal-Where Shall We Have Lunch?

Felicity fnewman at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 14:23:05 CST 2004

Apologies for the typo in my email address! How embarrassing, please see
corrected address below,
Felicity
            CALL FOR PAPERS
Where Shall We Have Lunch? Food and Foodways in the Twenty-First Century
We are seeking proposals for the forthcoming CSAA conference in
Perth/Fremantle - December 2004.

The Milliways Lunch Menu quotes, by permission, a passage from the Hitch
Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The passage is this:

The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three
distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and
Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why, and Where phases.

For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question "How can we
eat?, the second by the question "Why do we eat? and the third by the
question, "Where shall we have lunch?" (Adams 116)

With food seen more and more to be, as Gunew describes it, "the acceptable
face of multiculturalism", and the claim that there is more cookery
performed on television than in homes, it would seem that, in Adams' terms,
we are in the "sophistication phase". In that case the question of where we
should have lunch, would warrant consideration of issues of seasonality,
fashion, exoticism, eclecticism, style, taste and ethnic identity.

Yet for most of the world's population food is still a question of survival,
it is still at the "how can we eat" phase. Even in Australia, welfare
providers are describing increasing demands on food parcels and vouchers and
according to the National Nutrition Survey anywhere from 5% of the
population has run out of money for food and has no money to buy more. In
addition to survival, the inquiry phase has not passed us by entirely
either. Nutritionists, sociologists and culturists are still asking the
question why we eat certain foods, and why we eat in a certain way?

We are calling for papers which consider questions of globalism,
sustainability, food security, feminism and domesticity, genetically
modified foods, the everyday and the exotic, slow food and fast food, food
and identity.In short, any papers which might address the questions 'How can
we eat', 'Why do we eat' and 'Where shall we have lunch?"

Please email proposals to: fnewman at central.murdoch.edu.au  or

                                            gallegos at iinet.net.au

Conference details:

http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/cfel/csaa_conference.htm

Felicity Newman
School of MCC,
Division of Arts
Murdoch University
Western Australia, 6150.
(08) 93606705

"I always respect or admire the Chinese people and Chinese culture. At
least, I very much want Chinese food. I think everybody shares in that."

His Holiness the Dalai Lama.