[csaa-forum] FW: CHCI member announcement from the Leslie Center, Dartmouth College

Amanda Wise amanda.wise at anu.edu.au
Wed May 26 10:10:25 CST 2004

Cyber-Disciplinarity:

A Dartmouth Leslie Center Institute, 2005:

This Institute will initiate a trans-disciplinary survey of critical
issues attendant to the rise of cyber-culture:  the effects of
cyber-culture on "discipline," in terms of both specific disciplines of
knowledge and broader modes of social surveillance.  We will bring 10-15
scholars to Dartmouth College during April-May, 2005.  In weekly
meetings, we will investigate these issues and our attendant research in
relation to them.  We plan to hold a conference on these topics while
the fellows are at Dartmouth, and to publish a volume of essays by
participants in the conference and the Institute.  Invited speakers
include Jeffrey Rosen (George Washington University Law School), David
Lyon (Queen's University), Ursula Frohne (International University
Bremen), and Michael Curry (UCLA).  Four external fellows, who will be
expected to stay for the entire Institute, will receive stipends of
$7,500, and will be given offices equipped with computers.  Applicants
for these External Fellowships should submit a Curriculum Vitae, names
of three references whom we may contact for recommendations, and a
letter of interest with a short (200-500 word) description of a research
project to be pursued during the Institute.  We will begin selecting
Fellows during July, 2004, so materials should arrive before July 15 to
be assured of full consideration.  We encourage submissions from across
the academic disciplines.  All application materials should be sent to:
Mark Williams, Dept. of Film and Television Studies, 317 Wilson Hall,
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755; or by e-mail to
Mark.J.Williams at Dartmouth.edu.  For further information, see
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~lhc/institutes/spring2005/
.